1923 – Howard Hall and his business partner, John Jay, saw an opportunity to develop road construction equipment as automobiles were becoming more popular, and the lack of infrastructure across the country, made transportation difficult. They incorporated Iowa Manufacturing Co. in 1923 and began developing crushers, screens and conveyors to support the growing road construction industry during the “Good Roads Movement” of 1922.
Mr. Guy Franzee was hired by Hall to lead a team to develop the “world’s first truly portable aggregate plant”. This innovation allowed stone to be crushed right at the construction site and dramatically reduced the cost of transporting equipment to different sites. This revolutionary development replaced several pieces of equipment; saving time & money by combining crushing, conveying and screening into one machine.
1929 - Iowa Manufacturing introduced a line of hot mix asphalt (HMA) plants, diversifying their product offering further. During the Great Depression of 1929, Iowa Manufacturing distinguished themselves from it’s competition by extending loans to customers and accepting debt-reduction to avoid equipment repossession proving their commitment to valued customers.
1939- World War II provided an opportunity for Iowa Manufacturing to demonstrate the quality of its products. They contributed to the war effort by donating the Spirit of Cedarapids plant in honor of a fallen co-worker. Crushers and pavers produced in Cedar Rapids were continually sent around the world to build roads and landing strips for the military. In 1944, the War Department presented Iowa Manufacturing with the Army/Navy E (Excellence) Award in recognition of the patriotism exhibited by Iowa Manufacturing and its employees. A ceremony was held where the company received a flag and each employee a lapel pin.
1950- Iowa Manufacturing acquired New Holland Equipment, a manufacturer of impact crushers since 1912, expanding the company’s already extensive crusher product line. And then in 1956, Iowa Manufacturing responded to the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 by President Dwight D. Eisenhower by developing a new line of asphalt pavers.
1972- Iowa Manufacturing was sold to Raytheon Co. the year following the death of the original founder, Howard Hall. Raytheon, a globally diversified manufacturer of commercial and defense products as well as other non-defense businesses like Amana and Beachcraft. Then in1976, Iowa Manufacturing acquired ElJay, a manufacturer of screens, crushers and portable plants.
1985- Iowa Manufacturing Company's name was changed to Cedarapids. In 1989, Cedarapids purchased Standard Havens, a manufacturer of hot mix asphalt plants. This acquisition included the Oklahoma City facility, where all MPS portable plants and products are currently built.
1990- Cedarapids constructs and completes a “new” operations plant becoming the world’s largest Crushing & Screening factory under one roof. Then in 1992,Cedarapids launched the World’s largest tracked jaw plant,the MTP5460 Plant.
1999- Cedarapids was acquired by a nationwide manufacturer of heavy equipment, Terex. They took on the company’s current name and formed Cedarapids, A Terex Company.
2009- Terex® Minerals Processing Systems (MPS) was formed bringing together Cedarapids®, Simplicity®, Canica® and Jaques®, all leaders in manufacturing high quality, reliable materials processing equipment.
2023- Cedarapids® Celebrates 100 Years as it continues to expand & enhance the legendary portfolio of minerals processing systems.
In memory of Howard Hall, Founding Partner of Cedarapids, have a look at his 2014 Pit & Quarry Hall of Fame Induction.